Friday, March 12, 2010

Ode to Cookies

I love cookies. I think that nothing says "I care" like a plate of cookies, fresh from the oven. Hubman can probably attribute about the many times I might have drawn him out of a less than pleasant mood by baking him a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

I often bake with the kids and we find it relaxing and fun to bake together.

Making cookies are pretty simple. If you don't normally keep baking supplies in the house you can easily use a mix (I do) and then doctor the mix up a little. You can even buy disposable baking sheets.

When you are baking cookies, spoon the dry ingredients into dry measuring cups (the nesting kind) and then level it off. Use the larger measuring cups for the liquid. Have the butter and eggs at room temp before cooking. (Just take them out of the fridge when making dinner and they will be ready at baking time).

Doctoring a mix is easy. I will add a few sprinkles of cinnamon and an extra dash of vanilla to any cookie recipe.

And lastly, pay attention about whether or not you are supposed to grease the cookie sheet.

So this weekend, take a few minutes and bake some cookies. Make them with your kids and enjoy the fun and conversation with them. Pull the cookies out of the oven and enjoy the smiles.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (30 Cookies)
1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (Or sub in 1/2 Cup M&M's)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts; mix well.
  3. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9-10 minutes. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
Or if this is too much work, buy a Betty Crocker Oatmeal mix and add in the chocolate chips and nuts.

I will be up at Real World: Venus vs. Mars today talking about mandatory paternity testing. Please stop on by and let us know what you think on the topic.

9 comments:

  1. I hate it that i love cookies.
    We haven't had any in the house since New Years. I swear i can smell your cookies baking!
    I'll get you for this :)

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're just starting to have our oldest daughter help us make cookies and she loves the extra time to do something special 1-on-1 with us!

    I need to make those cookies right now. Oatmeal is a breakfast food, right? :)

    Oh and re: your comment, I totally agree about the thin mints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oatmeal are hubby's favorite cookie; chocolate chip mine. This recipe might just be the perfect compromise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you just inspired me to go cook a batch of snickerdoodles with my daughter. Thanks!

    The only problem - I'll eat over half of the batch myself. The last thing I need in this house is homemade cookies. But for spending some fun time with my daughter, I'll sacrifice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fav choc chip recipe is to make the Tollhouse recipe with half the butter. In my location you bake them at 350* for 15min.

    i'm out of chips. :(

    maybe I'll play and make the recipe with some cocoa powder....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secretia: I just pulled some out of the oven an hour ago. Want some.

    Pinknotes: You bet Oatmeal is a breakfast food. You can even find recipes specifically for breakfast cookies.

    BL: Compromise is good.

    Contact: Its a small price to pay for a wonderful memory.

    Tepid: Go get the chips, or some m&m's

    ReplyDelete
  7. We call them biscuits over here and they are the thing I miss most on my no wheat, sugar, dairy diet. So I have had to make my own. It's taken several months but I finally got a vegan flapjack recipe that Ruf and I both enjoy using oats, agave syrup, almond oil and non-dairy fat. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For time reasons, I will throw the batter in a pan and make the cookie bars instead.

    ReplyDelete